I grew up on the ranch where my dad taught his kids to shoot off-hand out to 100 yds, kneeling out to 200 yds, sitting out to 300 yds, and prone out to 400 yds, and all at an 8-inch bull. Using a Garand.

I'd never see a bench, a table, or whatever for shooting until hunting season came when my dad would "fill in the corners" of income by letting hunters come on to the property. Then the bench and some sort of stool would get pulled out to let the hunters check their zero at 100 yards.

I remember for a number of seasons "old joe" would come out to the ranch to have a try at Mulies. All I remember about Joe was something about he having cornered the market in fresh ravioli in the big city and each season he'd show up in a new pickup and carrying a new rifle in some loudenboomer cartridge, usually a Weatherby. This one particular season old joe must have brought a particularly nasty recoiling rifle as you'd see him pulling away from the rifle before the bullet launched. Naturally, he completely missed the entire target at 100 yards, and then missed the entire target again when we moved it up to 50 yards. At that my dad declared the rifle 'broken' and gave him one of the ranch rifles in '06 to use and told me to take joe out and to bring him back alive at the end of the day. He also told me to take a rifle and finish off whatever joe manages to hit as well.

Now I'm not saying this is true 'cause my dad didn't admit to it, but I understood "old joe" was urged to give the Q ranch down the road a ways a try as the Mulies were supposedly bigger and fatter over there.

Pud

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.