Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I generally do NOT suggest anything to shooters at the range, unless they specifically ask. In general, they're already convinced they're doing things correctly--and even if they have some doubts, resent other people making suggestions.

But nine times out of ten those that are doing the "sighting in" would like some advice instead of being snickered at behind their backs. Rather than watch them waste and or run out of ammo I would think a "worldly gentleman" would be more than willing to offer or at least ask "Hey buddy, you having problems with your rifle?" or some other polite question to break the ice like "Hey buddy, that sure is an interesting 444 ought 40 you have there, mind if I have a look and/or shoot it? I've never shot one before." and in the end help a guy out that spent a good amount of his hard earned money on what might possibility be the hunt of a lifetime with his less than your standards rifle and scope setup. Who knows, you both might walk away with a better appreciation for the other's situation.

My bench is also "free for friends" and 99% of the time I'm invited to come and spot so I bring my "Bob-sled" and sandbags as well as a rifle (or three) which almost always turns into a " Hey, want to shoot mine? " situation. Also by not shooting your best and letting "Buddy" shoot yours and by maybe besting your group builds their confidence.

Some recent shooters at my bench come to mind:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This next young man also worked up his own load using my press and sighted in his rifle (see target) and shot a pretty darn good group after zeroing!!

A non reactive target set up at a shooter/hunter's maximum distance will also boost confidence in their rifle, load and ability. Here's that same young shooter/hunter/reloader's 300 yard, three shot target. Yes, there was a slight crosswind.

He later harvested a nice fat muley doe with that load with one shot.

Anyways, I hate to see folks get a bad rub just because their stuff isn't what others think it should be.

RJ

Last edited by recoiljunky; 12/20/20.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.