I recently asked a Fairbanks enforcement Trooper about punching your tag if you believe you shot a moose, but did not recover it. It took him two days to chase down what he believed was the correct answer.

According to him it is not illegal to keep hunting moose if you shot another moose and did not recover it. He said it used to be illegal, but attorneys got involved in having it changed. Reason I asked him is because I knew a guy whos two kids shot and lost two moose the last two years.

One needs to be well versed in keeping up to date on the current regs for the species one is hunting in a given game unit. When in doubt, call Fish and Game and get an answer.

Personally, I don't know why there has to be a law against it. I was brought up knowing if you shoot and animal you punch your tag whether you recover it or not. I taught my children that and make it clear to any one I hunt with. Compared to many I have had a mediocre hunting career, but I believe that approach to hunting is why in 54 years I have never shot and lost a big game animal. I am disgusted with those that think it is ok to loose an animal and keep hunting for that species in the same season.

I also think if you are an international hunting celebrity and filming hunting shows you should know the rules an, just like everyone else is expected to. What was his intent, that is now a credible defense, right?

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 10/24/19.