"I want there fore I need" is the very best way to go forward. It only has to please you.

As for me in my rifles I have few calibers that don't cover a lot of bases. But probably the one that is most limited as to what it will do very well is my 222 Remington, my old 30-30 or my 404 Jeffery.
The rifles I have that cover the fewest bases are going to fall into a "iron sights only " group because of my limitations (Getting old and don't have excellent vision anymore) and the caliber that they are chambered in may be fine but I am not as "fine as they are" anymore. Such guns are my 6.5 Mannlicher, my Lee 303, my Remington M81 300 Savage, my Husky M46 in 9.3X57 and maybe my Browning M1895 30-06. But with that said I find I still kill about 1/2 of all my game animals with them. This year I had 7 tags to fill myself and so far I have killed 6 animals of which 5 were killed over iron sights. My longest kill in the 2019 season so far were my last 2 deer, both killed with the M81 in 300 savage and both at about 150 yards.
All those cartridges can do a lot of things and cover a lot of ground for hunting, but in those guns, with the sight they have, I think of them all as 200- 250 yard rifles because with open sights (not peeps) I am confident to about 250 yards in the field. With a scope I can shoot well to a LOT farther distances, but that is more about the sights and not the cartridges.

2 others that do very well on many kinds of game but at close ranges are my 62 caliber and my 50 caliber flintlocks.