Originally Posted by Tackdriver22250
I've got a hankering for a 38-55, but as far as bullet selection and loads, it doesn't offer a lot of options. Factory loads are anemic, energy is poor, and who knows what accuracy will be. But I still want one. I was wondering what other calibers you folks own and shoot that fall in this category.

I do not know what you consider diverse or not diverse regarding calibers. It is kind of a weird word to apply to calibers. Does a diverse caliber mean you can shoot people from a variety of races, genders, ages, and orientations with it?

It sounds like you might be pointing to flexibility of available loads? Or bullets for reloading?

If that is it, for me it is probably the .38-40 WCF. The only factory load I've seen in many years is the anemic WW 180 grain JSP load which is really not that good for anything. The bullet is too stoutly constructed to expand at the speed the cartridge delivers. To help it a bit you can get a buy a Corbin canneluring tool and roll crimp grooves into 10mm pistol bullets or switch to WFN cast bullets. That's about it. Even with max Ruger-only loads, it's pretty anemic.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...