Originally Posted by DigitalDan
But, but, this thread is about the least diverse in YOUR arsenal.

DD

I know he said own and shoot, but mine would have to be a 270. I got components and reloading equipment, but no rifle. I traded it away for something. For me, that makes it the least diverse. smile

Little Known Facts about Firearms: The 45 Elias Steamer (Elias' Least Diverse Cartridge)
Copyright 2015 - me

[Linked Image from tce-live2.s3.amazonaws.com]

In 1889, Elias Martineau, of the ‘salt water boiled chicken' Louisiana Martineaus, devised the first steam driven, self-contained cartridge – the 45 Elias Steamer.

Elias lived just outside of Lafayette, in the newly created Acadia Parish. God bless him, his intentions were honorable, but he just wasn’t too bright. He figured to capitalize on the idea of using boiling salt water from the Gulf to propel bullets. Sadly, neither the Martineau chicken recipe nor Elias’ steam driven bullet idea took off.

Originally, Elias thought that he could create a cartridge that would rival the black powder and new smokeless powder cartridges of the day. He chose the 45-70 because of its availability and the sheer number of single shot rifles available back then.

For 18 months he worked tirelessly, assembling tiny, single piston steam compressors inside of 45-70 cases. The effort took most of his time and ruined his eyesight. When it became too difficult to use even a large magnifying glass, he imported illegals from Tennessee to labor in his small shed. He was determined to succeed, despite hiring people from the Smoky Mountains.

Had Elias made one or two prototypes before going into full time production, he might have realized his idea wouldn’t hold water. Or, more to the point, wouldn’t hold enough water. While the principle of steam pressure had been proven in locomotives, it was a new idea in bullet propulsion. This was the golden age of firearms however. New ideas were born every week, and the industrial revolution drove innovation.

By July 1890, Elias’ small staff had produced 10 steam driven cartridges, and testing day had arrived. Even the army was interested! Four military men arrived from Washington and went into Martineau’s backyard to set up a firing bench and a target stand. One fellow even remembered to bring refreshments and lunch. The very first target was a 30x30 piece of deer hide, held onto a makeshift wooden stand with wire.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Four army men

Back at the firing line, there were empty bottles, cans, and even a small chicken in a cage. After the initial test shots were made on deer hide, these items were to be shot up to demonstrate the accuracy and firepower of the 45 Elias Steamer.

Elias carefully laid out the ten new cartridges on the table. He put on a new shirt, combed his hair and called for his rifle – a well-used Springfield trapdoor. Calvin Victor, his assistant, brought it to him and motioned for the camera. This was a historic moment! That’s when Elias realized that in his haste to construct this new steam driven cartridge, he had forgotten to modify a rifle to fire it. So everyone went home.

Sadly, Elias Martineau would not live to see his dream come true. Two months later, he was struck and killed by a driverless horse and buggy in the laneway of his farm, while walking to the outhouse.

And now you know the best of the story!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]