Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
In my opinion there's no such thing as a least diverse cartridge, if you are a handloader and especially if in addition you are a bullet caster too. Cartridge diversity is a state of mind of a shooter. Armed with an open mind and willingness to think outside the box, any cartridge can be pretty diverse...

I agree. It's funny that only a minority of reloaders will consider loading a cartridge down. Especially, as you point out, when loading cast bullets. Of course, that goes for jacketed bullets too.

I've noticed that most guys ride the ragged edge of pressure in order to generate as much velocity as they can. It's oxymoronic really. Reloaders can load for a range of power levels with any cartridge, yet most work to squeeze all they can from their brass. That "full on" approach is baffling to me.

I wonder why that is?

I agree. Never made a lot of sense to me either. Though, I haven’t done so in a while.....I have shot a lot of cast bullets at around 1400 fps, from my .375 AI. Performance is very similar to the 38 - 55 Win. Works great on smaller varmints, coyotes down through prairie dogs. Works good squirrels, rabbits, and even grouse....provided you “ head shoot “ them ! I wouldn’t hesitate to use them on deer/antelope, provided the shots were close and I could carefully place the bullet!

I’ve shot far more light loads through my 44 Mag., than the “hot” stuff! memtb

I have to admit to being one who has always loaded for the highest available MV in my revolvers and rifles. 30-06 with a 190 gr Hornady btsp at 2800 fps? No problem with a case full of H4831.

But then I am just as likely to be loading 125s at 2200 fps using SR4759, or 110 gr Sierra varminters at 2200 fps over 4198 or 3031 in the same brass.

I experiment as much or more with light recoil loads for the kids and grandkids as I do with maximum loads for the adults to hunt with.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.