Originally Posted by DigitalDan

So, how diverse is the .38-55? Take my beer out to the 300 yard line and hold it for me. I double dog dare ya.......

You fellas that are askeerd of molten lead need to seek counseling and your Loony Status is revoked until that's done.

Phfffffft.

I don't think anyone here is trying to throw shade on the 38-55. It's a very effective cartridge for what it does. The problem is whether or not a given cartridge is diverse or versatile. I would suggest 30-06 is a candidate for being most versatile. Another one might be .223 REM. There are a bunch of bullet choices and you can rig a load to go hunt chipmunk up to whitetail deer. Now granted, you can load 375 round ball in a 38-55 case and plink to your heart's content. Still, I'd say there is room for making the distinction.

As far as flinging lead goes, I'm a huge fan of .35-somethings. I have a 35 Whelen that shoots 158 grain cast lead quite well. That same mold works for my 357 pistols and lever gun. In fact, with 3 molds, I cast for a dozen firearms right now everything from 9mm to 38 SPC to 357 Mag to 35 Whelen.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer