I picked up a Ruger American Predator in 350 Legend for Ohio deer season (there is a thread in hunting rifles). It shot well with factory loads but I like to handload, and shoot a lot, so naturally wanted to load for this. Time is short before season, as are components and load data, for this new cartridge. There are few loading threads on line, none here, so I thought I post my results and hopefully get some other’s data too.

I have only been loading the Win 180 PP (only bullet I found available), Lee dies (including their collet crimp die), Win., Starline, and Hornady brass with CCI 400 primers. Hodgen’s online data was the only published loading source located and it matches the data sent with my Lee dies.

Factory loads were fired to document velocities recording from my 21 Inch barrel (I cut the threaded portion off my 22 inch barrel off and re-crowned):
-Win 180PP published 2100fps – actual 2064fps
-Hornady 170 IL published 2200fps – actual 2341fps!
-Federal 180 published 2200fps – actual 2200fps

Seems Winchester is underloading their factory stuff and the Hornady loads seems HOT. With this info I assumed ~2200fps as a safe max for the 180 PP. The Hodgen data lists Lil Gun starting 23g (2049fps) and max 25.5g (2213fps). I loaded up 24g (2257 fps), 24.5g (2288fps), and 25g (2359 fps). I only shot one round of 25g as I had the primer cratering around the firing pin and velocity was through the roof eek. All these loads appear to be over pressure by the velocity I was getting but there is little data out there. I dropped back to the starting load of 23g and got velocities noted in the picture below. I have never loaded a cartridge so sensitive to seating depth both in terms of accuracy and velocity as is evident by the groups. .020 difference in seating depth made a good 20 fps difference in velocity with no other change, and seating this bullet out really opened up the groups. 2.125 OAL seems to be the magic seating depth for this bullet.

[Linked Image]

A couple other random observations:
- I would love for Barnes to come out with a 140 .355 expander bullet similar to their muzzleloader slugs. At 2500 fps that would be impressive.
-Winchester components continue to SUCK. Their brass is barely usable, thick, tight primer pockets etc.
-Seating depth is significant in this cartridge for velocity & accuracy
-Don’t follow the Lee instructions for setting up their expander die or crimp die. I turned the crimp die in until it stopped turning against the shell holder THEN turned it in ½ turn in order to get a crimp. To adjust the expander, place a piece of brass in the shell holder, turn die the die until it makes contact and then adjust down as needed (~1/2 turn).
-I got a lot of groups with 2 in and 1 out. Not sure it it’s me, loads, or the flex in the fore end of the stock. The American stock is not great for shooting groups off bags, especially with a AR style magazine.
-The Starline brass is great!

I'd love to hear from other guys loading results.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince