Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
nothing in the new testament is in conflict with the "mormon" church. The LDS church believes the new testament to be the word of god. I wonder how reading scriptures, specifically the new testament is in conflict with the church, IN FACT THIS YEAR OUR ENTIRE CHURCH IS STUDYING THE NEW TESTAMENT!!! Lessons from the New testament are on specific parts of the new testament and are studied by family, church and youth lessons, all lessons are focused on the same specific sections of the new testament. In fact this weeks lessons are on James, which I might add is in the new testament.

Studying the New Testament is all well and good but that does not address doctrinal differences.

Are the “three heavens” consistent with the New Testament?

Does a Mormon have to perform works to achieve the telestial kingdom?

Is it true that everyone except the most vile go to one of the three heavens?

Does Mormonism teach that the “really good Mormons” can achieve God status?

Edit to add: Does a Mormon have to “endure in the faith” to achieve heaven. Is this not what is often called “works based salvation?”

did christ walk on water by himself? NO peter did as well. Did the apostles that were left to establish christ's early church perform miracles that were the same as the ones christ performed? YES they did. but wait I thought we didn't believe in the new testament? maybe you don't? So why is it a stretch to think that god would hoard all his knowledge and keep others from obtaining everything he has? Clearly Christ didn't hoard all the power and authority during his ministry, instead he shared it with his apostles.

its a law of nature, Whom so ever empowers the individual becomes more successful themselves. We see it everywhere in life. I believe empowering the individual is central to god's plan for us.

pretty much all the doctrinal beliefs by mainstream Christianity were formed by people who got together and voted on what they should be centuries ago. that doesn't make those beliefs or interpretations correct. Its easy to prove or disprove just about anything in the bible. The trinity is one aspect that can be proven or disproven in the bible.

YES the LDS church once practiced polygamy. but its been banned for a 130 years!!!!! YES there are still people and groups that still practice it. They are rogue groups who are actually ostracized by the rest of the population around here. These groups are viewed as weird and don't socialize with regular LDS church members. let me repeat those that practice polygamy separate themselves from us. We separate ourselves from them. We think they are weird people generally.

If Joseph Smith would forge bank notes, why not gospel?

Illegal banking, February 1837
In February 1837, Samuel D. Rounds swore a writ against Smith and Sidney Rigdon for illegal banking and issuing unauthorized bank paper. At a hearing on March 24, the court found sufficient evidence for the case to go to trial. In October, Smith and Rigdon were tried in absentia after having left Ohio for Upper Canada. They were each found guilty and each fined $1000.[18][19]

"He was arrested seven times in four months, and his followers managed heroically to raise the $38,428 required for bail.

If he would defraud a bank, why not his followers?

Banking fraud, 1838
After a warrant was issued for Smith's arrest on a charge of banking fraud, Smith and Rigdon fled Kirtland for Missouri on the night of January 12, 1838.

Perjury, fornication and polygamy???

At last two of those are covered in the Old Testament:

Perjury, fornication and polygamy, May 1844
In May 1844, a Hancock County grand jury indicted Smith for perjury, fornication and polygamy. The charge of perjury was based on testimony by Joseph H. Jackson and Robert D. Foster, while William Law's testimony led to charges of fornication and polygamy.[43] Smith appeared before the Circuit Court and his trial was postponed until the next term of the court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_and_the_criminal_justice_system

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/19/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell