Having seen and/or heard of a number of these things happen over the years, the teachers most often fall into two general categories; horny females motivated by lust, or “lovestruck” (as opposed to predatory) male teachers. Not unusual for the a woman teacher doing this to be young and attractive.

For the male teachers, not many, even if they’re married were exactly “Alpha males” in high school, and now they have absolutely gorgeous teenage girls with a crush on them.

Among the students the guys involved are most often athletes, amongst the girls they are most often the ones with no father figure at home.

Heard of it happening between a homosexual male teacher and a student, but in this case the student was a committed homosexual too. Same thing between a lesbian coach and a female student.

Most of the time these things are handled by the local Admin and never hit the news, possibly because an “improper relationship” is easier to prove than actual sex acts. I know of two male teachers obliged to resign for merely writing or texting a teenage girl they were smitten with.

OTOH I know of three marriages resulting from a male teacher in a relationship with a female Senior where they got away with it. In two cases the girl was pregnant when she graduated.

How often does this happen? I’d guess about 1 in three or four hundred teachers. Most times it never makes the news but it does occur regularly.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744