My brother is the BBQ expert in the family, and yes he started out as a stick burner, like almost everyone else out there. He worked his way up, and for years competed on the Kansas City Barbecue Society Pro division (Holy Smokers BBQ Team). Whenever I had time, and close proximity, I would travel to a competition to help out and "sample" the product. His turn in boxes always looked amazing.....that stuff is on a whole different level!

That being said, he and my sister in law have moved more into the area of catering and event selling of BBQ. A blind man can notice that ALL the major competitors and professionals, usually use a pellet smoker of some variety. So, I went and purchased a "Pit Boss" 1000 about 3 months ago. With his instruction, I was turning out awesome, tender, moist, flavorful foods in no time. Pellet smokers are more forgiving, less intense work. The MAJORITY OF THE WORK IN BBQ IS PREPARATION! Now read that last part again, and again until it sinks in.

Buying quality meats and preparing them correctly will do more for your outcome than you ever imagined! Pitt Boss markets their own brand of pellets, and they have different varieties as well. I happen to like their "Competition Blend" pellets of Hickory Apple and Cherry I believe. You can purchase them from Walmart at $14.98 a 40# bag, and have them delivered.

I entered a local BBQ competition 3 weeks after buying the smoker, and ended up with three "Call's". Third Place Pork Rib's, Second Place Pork Butt, First Place brisket. I tell you that just to show you that even though I hadn't had much experience with a Pellet Smoker, they are extremely easy to use and produce quality results! Spending $90 on a Prime Brisket, you don't want to disappoint! There's a tremendous amount of knowledge out there online, just search for recipes you like and experiment....that's the only true way to get good at this craft!

Good Luck and enjoy!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~