Originally Posted by 280shooter
Lumber Jack pellets are what most use around here. Keep the smoker clean. A blanket helps stabilize temps. Here is a big one: If it goes out - DO NOT just restart it. You may end up with a big fire, peeled paint, and a fried grill. Tear it down and clean the excess pellets out of the pot. Then restart. Several times, my Traeger has gone out. The rep says that maybe it is the occasional long pellet. Regardless, the grill will then feed pellets until the pot has overflowed. If you just restart, it gets ugly fast.

Lumber Jack Pellets

My Traeger has gone out twice while on the "smoke" setting for 3 hours on an over night pork shoulder cook. And two more times when I have reduced the temp on the dial. I've never had a problem when increasing temp. It happens when the temp gets too low.

As 280 said, if it happens do not try to restart without cleaning it out first. Also, and this is obvious but do not vacuum out the fire pot until the pellets are cool. I've heard of people doing that and next thing you know their garage is on fire from a burning shop vac. Scoop them out or wait until they are cool.

Traegar pellets are only like 20% of the wood they say they are on the bag. So like 20% cherry and 80% oak or some other hardwood. I think that is why most (including me) can't tell the difference in taste. You can buy 100% cherry, apple, hickory etc. pellets if you do some research. **Edit** the Lumber Jack pellets that 280 posted fit that bill.

Another tip: Don't waste your money on the Traeger brand insulated blanket. A $20 welding blanket from Menards works very well because you can layer it to the width of your smoker and bungee strap the bottom using the rings in the blanket.

Last edited by Rooster7; 12/04/19.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...