Just wondering if I was the only one around here to hunt with cast rifle bullets this year? Took my buck with jacketed out of the 257 Roberts because of location, but used cast out of the 308 for both does this year. I'd been working with an old (1959-1960?) JC Higgins 51-L in 308 with the NOE clone of the Saeco #315 bullet. 180 gr in my alloy, the truncated cone, tapered body was just the ticket in the worn barrel and oversized throat of this rifle. I powder coated and water dropped out of the oven to simplify handling and keep dirt off when pocket carried. Tried several powders, working up to 2400 fps with H4350 and H4831SC, but settled on Varget at 2150-2200. For those concerned about reduced loads with the slow powders, I've been assured by a couple accomplished lead load experimenters that detonation isn't a problem with lead loads like it is jacketed.
Took two does so far at roughly 100 yards. First was facing me, impact was inside the right shoulder, bullet ran diagonally to the left flank and exited, re-entered the meaty part of the left rear leg and exited the back side. Plenty of penetration. Doe ran maybe 60 yards.
Second was nearly broadside, centered the near shoulder, a bit higher than planned, exited behind the far shoulder with a 2" hole. Lots of blood. Doe made it 30 yards.
I'm having a hard time convincing myself I would need anything else for much of my hunting areas where shots tend to be under 150 yards.