Ok, since you guys have been talking about Weatherbys I will go ahead and ask a few questions. Rifle Looney Bug has been working on me for a while now, I am wanting a lite weight Left Hand rifle to deer hunt with. The MK V Weatherby Weatherguard LT and the MK V Backcountry have gotten my attention. I must add that I have never owned a Weatherby, but have kept up with them a little bit over the years.

I have mainly used Remington Model 700’s and Winchester Model 70’s along with Browning Bar MK II’s and even a Pre 64 Model 94 Winchester 30-30. All those rifles worked fine and I have taken dozens of deer with those, but there was one big problem. All of those rifles are right handed and I shoot long guns left handed because I am left eye dominant. Main reason for switching to a left hand rifle is, I am worried about a blown primer or case rupture in my face. Also I think I can become a little more proficient with the bolt handle being on the left side. One other thing is I am getting up in my years in my mid 50’s and I want to lighten things up some, but at the same time, not hunt with a rifle that’s going to loosen my fillings with excessive recoil.

Here is what I am looking for in a new left hand rifle for a reasonable price. I am seriously looking at a lite weight, durable rifle of great quality to whitetail deer hunt with, mainly in the woods. Most shots will be 100 yards to right under the tree stand type hunting, but there are opportunities for some 300 yard shots. The rifle must be stainless steel and coated in a weather resistant type finish like Cerakote or other durable coating. I take care of my guns, but I don’t want to worry about wiping down rifles at the end of the day to get rid of fingerprints, worrying about rust. The rifle would have to endure some rain and snowy type weather at times. Of course the rifle and caliber need to be able to take a whitetail deer in an efficient manner, eliminating lots of unnecessary tracking episodes. I understand bang flops are not guaranteed with any rifle of course.

Ok as far as caliber or cartridge, I know my choices are very limited to about three different ones since I am looking at a lite weight, left hand rifle. The 257 Weatherby, 300 Weatherby and the 6.5-300 Weatherby. If I recall correctly I think bigger rounds such as the 30-378 and 338-378 might be available in the Mark V Accumarks? Sorry not interested in those big thumpers. Out of the first three I mentioned I have been looking real hard at the 257 Weatherby and the 6.5-300 Weatherby. My first concern is about how much recoil there is with those two in a lit weight rifle. Also will the 6.5-300 Weatherby burn a barrel out a lot faster than the .257 Weatherby would. If I failed to mention earlier that whatever rifle I purchase will be mainly a hunting rifle with limited rounds fired each year, mainly checking loads and the scope zero, then off on the deer hunting trip with very few rounds fired while hunting. Other words I will not be sitting down at the bench shooting at targets on a regular basis. Am I correct in assuming that the Weatherby Vanguards are not offered in a left hand version?

Ok let’s talk about the durability of the Cerakote finish on the Weatherby rifles. How is it holding up on your rifle, do you ever discover any rust anywhere on your rifle? How does it compare durability wise to other finishes on other rifles such as the XCR finish on the Remington Model 700’s?

Last but not least, any cons or pros related to the Weatherby Rifles? I have been looking at other rifles from Christensen Arms, Cooper Arms, Fierce Arms and Nosler. Those companies offer a wider selection of cartridges and calibers in left hand rifles than Weatherby does, but are they built as well as the Weatherby Rifle. I do see some negative reviews on the other rifles I mentioned, time to time, it could be someone gets a lemon now and then. It seems the Weatherby Mark V is a very strong built action, what makes it any better than a Cooper Arms, Fierce or Nosler? Nine bolt lugs compared to two or three lugs and a 54 degree bolt throw?

Sorry about getting long winded, any input from you guys would be appreciated.

NEVER GIVE UP