Things got a little crazy here the last half of the 2nd week. I finished up work for the week Wednesday morning at 7am. My 5(soon to be 6 year old) decided she wanted to try and kill a doe with her “new pink gun”. I did some scouting in the morning when I got off work, got things set up for our evening hunt, picked her up from school at 3pm, and we hit the woods. A little after 5pm, after a bit of a Chinese fire drill in the blind, and some deer sticking around way longer than they should have trying to figure us out, she had one of the bigger does I’ve seen in recent years on the ground. That pretty much made my season. I used up a few dmap tags and killed a doe Thursday evening, and two more Friday morning. I spent the rest of the day Friday and a good part of the day Saturday cutting up 5 deer. They’re all in the freezer, waiting to be made into bologna, snack sticks, kielbasa and pastrami. I still have 2 tags left for flintlock season, and I’ll definitely be out. Late season is one of my favorite times of the year. Whether I fill any more tags or not, will depend on how much I feel like cutting up another deer. It’s been an excellent year for us. I’m blessed with plenty of deer in my part of the country and plenty of places, both public and private, to hunt them. A guy can’t ask for much more.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.