Kingston must be a good friend. Not many would give up their Heater Buddy.

Definitely frigid out there this A.M. Flintlock may be a cold one. Only hunting it after losing buck to a bear during archery. No place to poke an arrow through the laurels at 10’ so I chased him down into the gorge with only a knife. Honestly thought he’d be like the buck stealing bear last year and drop the buck. No, he tunneled through laurels down the gorge cliffs for hours just ahead of me until I ran out of light. I had him broadside during the first day of bear season and a sapling saved him blocking vitals from any shot opportunity.

Hung a stand over his trail leaving his den but Sat the kids had tickets to see Santa and Mama wanted a tree before I left for business. Sun shining and a break in weather after 3 days of snow/ice. Hunters killed him almost under my stand Sat morning. He pegged 545 or something like that. I had him circle me once in a tree just before bear season and thought him smaller. Had I known, I’d have been at least a little slower to chase him without a weapon.

Have pics of a nice 13 a lady hunting above me killed. I wasn’t sure what he’d be when I took pics of him in my yard this summer but even then counted 11 and bulbs still on his beams. I was in a new to me hard access section of the gorge and kicked them up the rock face to the hunters. Glad she got him and I was able to see what he became. I thought him long gone to the Taxi.

Beav, you’ll have to come back for a late Flintlock season. It gets pretty cold, sometimes -10 or colder in the mountains but it’s a fun hunt in the snow.