Hey all. I'm looking to get into a new rifle for the next deer season. Looking for consistency from 50-250 yards(that's my hunting spot), flat and powerful but not not overly destructive. I've been going back and forth, comparing two different levels.

Category 1 - 270 or 308: Seem fairly similar, the 270 seems to edge out on most numbers, but seems I'd be just as happy with one as the other. Please share personal experience between the two of there's big defining pieces I'm missing. Would've probably had 7mm-08 in place of 308, but ammo is simply not as available around me.

Category 2 - 7mm mag or 300 mag: These are obviously a step up. My brother uses a 7mm mag, and though it seems way unnecessary, it gets the job done every time and doesn't seem to destroy the deer. I can read numbers all day, but from personal experience is there a vast difference between these two in actual performance? Or are they both in the "stupid obnoxious" realm for whitetail, and it doesn't really matter?

I'm trying to pin down the best (relative) choice in each category and then make up my mind from there. Trying not to over think it. All of these will absolutely kill a deer with good shot placement. I'm just trying to see why or if I should really lean one way or another, or just pick one and have fun.

Thanks!

Last edited by OriginalUsername; 01/01/20. Reason: English hard, trying do gooder.