OriginalUS, welcome to forum..just joined myself but have been reading on here for a while. Can't speak of the Category 2, except to say they are 2 very good rounds if you can stand the kick and not develop a "I know what is coming when I pull this trigger." Have shot the 7mm and could not take it. The 270 is one that my brother has and have shot few times, and to tell you the truth, it has about the same kick as a 7mm. Fine round for deer, will reach out there, do all caliber for elk.deer, and many more. The 308 is about all I use now and was my first caliber almost 40 years ago. Also got a 243 which is about as good and my grandson uses some, very easy on the shoulder and with reloads will get done on any deer that walks. Both of these are in Winchester Model 70 in stainless. Reason I like the 308 is I reload and can work up loads that fit my type of hunting, which is about like you described....50 yds all the way out to 300-400 yds with ease. Shooting like 2- 3 inches high at 100 will drop like 7-8 inches at 300, no hold over no problem at that range. Now, also at that range it has over 1500 ft lbs of energy and traveling over 2000 fps, so look it up, all you will ever need for deer and on up in game. Can shoot at range and never think about it going to kick and not have a sore shoulder afterwards....all which is important to me. Many rifles out there in the 308 to choose from, ammo to be found easy, and another thing, the 308 and 243 is built on a short action vs long action for the heavier calibers...another thing to consider if you will handle both before you buy. Also, the Win.Model 70 is built on the Mauser type action, or controlled round feed (CRF) which controls the round picking it up out of the mag and holds it till round is extracted....no chance of a round failing to cycle into chamber when working bolt fast....repeated shots held at different angles when firing and loading rounds. Sorry for the long read, but thought I would try to give you little insight into what I believe is one of the best rounds ever developed for hunting. Now, after all this has been said, am looking at another project.... the 6.5 Creedmore.....check that round out....nothing to not like.

O.B.Wallace