You can kill deer with about anything. Depending on cover you may want something that leaves a blood trail.

Maine bruisers are seldom seen, and twitchy as heck. You might have one fleeting opportunity per season......or none. Alot of Michigan cover is similar.

Nothing like those stationary Pursuit channel deer shot in large fields, or feeding in senderos. Nothing like the large agricultural fields I used to hunt in NYS. Here, after the shot the animal disappears in thick cover immediately. Maybe while you're recovering from recoil. There is no watching death sprints in this stuff. Whether you use a .243 or a .338.

I've used .300 Wins and Roys for decades and have no complaints. They usually kill fast, and leave a blood trail when they don't kill quick. When I retired had this itch for a .375 R. Seems even more certain insofar as blood trail is concerned. Don't need it, but sure am liking it. Alot!

All that said, a .308 Win would suit me fine for shots to 250 yds or so. It is easily the most popular round now in Maine. The '06 and 7-08 are close. I don't know anyone who uses a .243 here, probably because typical ME cover is so thick. In open areas I'd be perfectly happy with one, tho.