Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Yeah, interesting thread.

Started in 1980 with a .338 in eastern Oregon. Shot several bulls and thought I had the perfect public ground shootin iron.
Then switched to archery for a while. Took my two best bulls with sticks - shot well, I learned they died quickly.

When I picked up the .338 again I was rather astonished at the pounding I received from it!
Somebody wanted that old pre64 more than I did and now he owns it.

Then I popped a five point Roosevelt bull and a few cows with my .270....it did great and is a lot more fun to shoot. That 5 pt was right at 351 yards.
Now days I mostly hunt for cow elk on a damage permit and just use my 6.5CM, .260 and very soon my brand new 7-08.

The 6.5's kill very well - I've not had to shoot more than once. Both 129gr Hornadys and 140 Fed Fusions do the work just fine. The 7 will be running the 139 interlocks this weekend.

The country I hunt is steep, oak savanna ground with plenty of cover. Shots can be from the front door to 400+, if you want to do that. I find the modest rounds more fun to use and easier to hit well with.

Generally the hardest part of killing elk, is finding an elk to kill!

Thanks for your perspective.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck