Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The old retired Colorado game officer that does a lot of management on theColorado ranch uses a push feed Model 70 in 270 win he bought when he got home from Viet Nam. He’s killed a LOT of elk with it. I don’t remember ho unntilw many he said he’s done in with that rifle. Old son has also killed his fair share of elk on the place with a 270 in an old model1917 Winchester configuration.

Ol' Jack O knew what he was doing. I've got lots of rifles but come game day I usually grab the same rifle, the one that works the best, my old 1966 year model 70 .270. I used to cuss it and felt I made a mistake buying it brand new in 1966 and that I should have bought a Remington 700 instead until I stopped and thought how many deer I'd killed with that old rifle. About 35 years back I stripped the shiny vanish off and did a satin finish on it. It still looks good though it has a lot of dings and scrapes from hard use. But it still shoots true and is still taking deer and hogs. The last deer and the last hog I killed were with it.

But in reference to this thread I will say that with the right bullet I would probably take it elk hunting too. Why? Because I've had it so long and killed so much game with it I can shoot it better than about anything else I have.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/14/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!