I’ve been fortunate to kill a lot of elk thus far, 46 or 47, lost count, both bull and cows. I’ve helped retrieve another 23 elk for friends and family. All elk were hunted in rough coastal terrain where a poor shot on an elk will turn into an epic rodeo search and recover situation that sucks ass, and can end even worse, with a lost animal.

Our average shots on bulls are typically starting at 400 yards and go farther from there to distances only the shooter can determine for himself being capable of making with atmospherics accounted for.

We’ve used the following- 30-06, 7mag, 300 Wins, 300 RUM, 300 Wby, 7-08, and even a 30-378 Wby for several years.

Personally, seeing enough elk taken to have a good idea of what will “Stone an elk at distances” out to 750 yards. I would say the best elk killing rifle is the one you can shoot really well with out fear of recoil, so your only focus is on your reticle for good shot placement.

A lot of rifles will kill an elk...Bullets matter and should be part the equation.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”