Originally Posted by UPhiker
How much of which knife steels are "best" is subjective, not objective? Different steels are better for different tasks and different people like different benefits. Some like stainless, some like carbon. Some like a blade that's easy to sharpen, others like a blade they will hardly ever have to touch up. Also, how much of what makes one steel "better" than another is just numbers on a paper that the average person could never tell the difference about in real life. Here's an example that will probably get me flamed. My EDC is a Spyderco Delica in VG10. I use it all the time to open boxes, envelopes, clean fingernails, etc. It's easy to sharpen but needs touching up. If I was in the wilderness in a survival situation, I'd want a steel that holds an edge much longer since I wouldn't have the tools to do it with.

You were right here, after that not so much.

How much of which knife steels are "best" is subjective, not objective? Different steels are better for different tasks and different people like different benefits. Some like stainless, some like carbon.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.