Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
From above
""wwy" cuts up more animals in a year than all the rest of us together"

"With all due respect....I seriously doubt this..."

OK, so there are apparently some others who also disassemble over 100 animals
a year.

Geedubya is probably one, and I really respect his comments on field use of knives also.

Who else here????? I don't know, but I would gladly accept your field use experience also, even
if you only do one animal once in a while.

Tim

With all due respect to everyone responding on this thread, I have to say this.

1. The vast majority, virtually all of the people who cut up a LOT of animals use what I consider crap for knives. If well made knives of upper end steel were even remotely necessary for turning animals into food, people like Tim could make decent living making knives, and their product would be a lot cheaper. When you buy a $10.00 knife, you get a $10.00 knife.

2. The vast majority of people turning 100 or more animals into food in a year are employed doing so. Further, turning 100 (or more) animals into food is getting awful close to one every other day or a five day work week. That leaves precious damn little time to do anything else, especially when you think about the amount of time it takes to do so in a sanitary fashion.

3. The knives made for people employed turning animals into food are specifically made to be easy (quick) to sharpen and NOT harder to dull. Likewise, they are not made to take a particularly fine edge.

I, like most of the people who buy Tim's (and other makers) knives do so because I want the best tool for the job. Small differences add up to a lot more for me than a lot of people because while my skill at turning animals into food may be much greater than 90 some percent of the people who attempt that, it is nowhere near that of the people who do it for a living. An additional difference is that on the rare occasion that I buy commercially processed meat I am generally appalled at the quality of work I see because the people doing the butchery are more concerned with speed than quality and waste. I like pretty meat. I gift friends with wild meat and frequently hear that THEY like pretty meat. Pretty meat tastes better. The knives I choose to turn the animals I kill into food form a set of tools dedicated to doing specific tasks BETTER than other designs to help compensate for my lesser skills. Some, like a classic design fish filet knife approach the design of commercial butchering tools, but are crafted out of much better materials. It is NOT a small matter to me WHAT steel the knife is made of. That is every bit or even in some cases more the importance of the blade size and shape. Some blades of some steels simply do a better job for longer when compared to "better" steels by virtue of their design alone.