Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Serious question, in NO way argumentary, but, exactly "what" did you "just in this thread, learned a lot from MRK, wwy and Canezes9"?

First thing, I'd rather listen to the advice of someone who has practical knowledge and use of a product than someone who has a chart and uses percentages of elements to decide which product is best.
We have one customer at work who is an "expert" on guns and accurate shooting. He can spout off on best scopes, best barrels, best loads, etc. The said thing is that he's a lousy shot.

All good...BUT: what did you learn on this thread?

Steel and it's elements is only 1/3 the equation! Heat Treat, and Geometry matter just as much.

HA!

Calling you out...

...You didn't learn that on this thread!!

You knew that LONG ago!!!

(I've actually expressed the same to MAKERS on here that still don't get it... Sad...

I am sure I will get flamed for this but in all honesty there isn't much to learn here. There are some good makers here. There are a few guys that have nice collections. There are a few guys that know more than they lead you to believe. But for the most part this forum is a bunch of guys with run of the mill knife experience. Nothing wrong with that at all. However I got flamed for saying that a Havalon maybe soulless but is a great tool in the field. A Havalon will outperform more than a bunch of run of the mill knives. It is faster and easier to replace the blade in the field than sharpening a knife. The cost is next to nothing and if lost is no big deal! I seek performance in a custom, I seek steels that offer more, heat treat that is better than the norm, and edge geometry that is thin. You can slice or you can plow, your choice. There are times when a thin blade isn't desirable but more times than not a thin blade is what I want. I try to keep up with steels and makers, but there are a lot of both so it can be challenging. I think most get butt hurt when guys here talk about knives that can and will outperform what they are either using or know about. I had a PM with Menefee about this a while back. I have also discussed it with a few makers that came on here and read post, then decided it wasn't worth their time on here. I use to be a quantity guy, I owned a lot of knifes from a lot of makers. I starting seeing slight differences but most were Germain. I wanted better and I wanted different but at that time there was not a lot of guys that stood out. Phill Wilson and Phill Hartsfield really opened my eyes. Now there are guys that don't want to make you 80 different models or your own personal design. Because they have put in the time, energy, money, and testing to figure out what really works. Get to know some of these guys and they may be willing to work with you on a project knife. If they think it is going to match their standard. Honestly I think there are some great guys on here and like anywhere else in life some not so great guys. We can all learn something if we are receptive to it. Anyways I have pretty thick skin and can handle any and all flaming. In the end I love knives, and I love exceptional knives even more.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/18/20.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.