Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
While things are cooling down, I pose a question.
Hopefully the answers will be from at least some actual hands on field use or testing

Given three knives of same geometry and of equal sharpness by same sharpening process,
1. One with CPM 154 at 61 Rc
2. One with CPM M4 at 63 Rc
3. One with 1.2562 at 67 Rc (or something very similar)

IF the CPM 154 blade would field dress and quarter two elk before needing touch up with a strop,
------ how many elk would you expect to do with the other two steels before needing touch up??????

Remember the only difference is in the chemistry and Rc. All else is equal.

I do not get to process many animals any more (Like zero this year) and have not felt up to cutting a bunch of rope.

Thanks in advance. Tim

Tim Hard to give you an answer on your criteria for several reasons.

1) I have not broken down multiple elk in a season.

2) No to animals are the same, some are relatively clean, some not so much, Some have a lot of fat, some not so much.

3) What is needed touch up to you, might be different to me, or the next guy.

So I have used both steels including one of yours on multiple deer, coyote, bobcat, and bear. I can't speak for the 1.2562 as I have only gotten to test it on ducks, geese, coyote, in the kitchen, and some fish.

The two that I can speak for breaking down multiple deer and predators is the CPM 154 and M4. Before I get to that a few things to touch on with the two. Sharpening as in establishing an edge is easier with CPM 154 as is touching it up. M4 is a tougher steel that can take more abuse. I think a more fair comparison would be both steels at 61RC. Last M4 is not a stainless, apples to apples non-stainless is always going to have a better sturdier edge than a stainless.

So between the two in my experience based on your criteria I would say double for the M4.

1.2562 needs time and further testing but it looks very promising for a solid choice with easy of sharpening and edge retention.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.