Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
While things are cooling down, I pose a question.
Hopefully the answers will be from at least some actual hands on field use or testing

Given three knives of same geometry and of equal sharpness by same sharpening process,
1. One with CPM 154 at 61 Rc
2. One with CPM M4 at 63 Rc
3. One with 1.2562 at 67 Rc (or something very similar)

IF the CPM 154 blade would field dress and quarter two elk before needing touch up with a strop,
------ how many elk would you expect to do with the other two steels before needing touch up??????

Remember the only difference is in the chemistry and Rc. All else is equal.

I do not get to process many animals any more (Like zero this year) and have not felt up to cutting a bunch of rope.

Thanks in advance. Tim

Well, I have two blades of similar shape though not of matching size, one in CPM M4 and one in CPM 154 and I have cut up a couple deer with each. I will also throw in VG-10 and D2 blades that are of similar size and edge angle. I will also throw in skinning to the work and separating the muscles for slicing.

The VG-10 blade has done 9 (nine) deer for me and as such is the standard by which I compare. The D2 has done a lot of deer, but usually needs touch up after a couple-three CPM 154 is similar to the D2 for me, a little better IMO but I haven't got enough to base a judgement on if it is for sure or if I am just seeing a little more edge corrosion with the D2. The CPM M4 I have is still shaving sharp after two deer so my use seems to put it ahead of both CPM 154 and D2, and maybe a lot more. I am only guessing, but I figure I have at least two more deer in the CPM M4 blade before touch up.

None of these blades have been hardness tested to my knowledge. They are of similar hardness and I have reason to believe that the CPM M4 blade is somewhere near 63-64 HRC. All of the above blade were sharpened to about 15 degrees.

Never had a piece of 1.2562 in my hands, much less used one for anything. Sorry.