Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by fremont
I'm just finishing restocking my Improved. Before I changed stocks, it shot 200 NABs pretty well with both CFE-223 and Big Game. I'd like to increase its versatility, adding 210 NPTs, 215 SGKs and 210 Sciroccos to its repertoire. And, when in doubt, there's always Re-15.......

I've read the 215 SGK is a hard bullet, a bit hard for WT's and such, maybe OK for big, tough critters. I have some but doubt I'll be using them on our local deer.

What have you heard or seen with that bullet?

The 140 SGK HPBT is the most accurate bullet in my 7-08 and currently my bullet of choice for deer and hogs.

DF

I can attest, that both the Sierra 338 cal 215 grainer AND the 200 grain Sierra 30 cal, gave poor performance on a few white tails in northern MN years ago...just like the game changer 6mm 90 grainer.. they need to be pushed real hard, and on larger big game than just Bambi and friends...and that was according to Sierra techs....and yeah, call me crazy but I have a habit of calling manufacturers customer service when a product fails.. be it bullets or a toaster...or a set of tires...

why Sierra likes to make some bullets too darn hard for most applications is beyond me..

Addendum... in the 338 bore, after having what I considered poor performance in my 338/06 from some bullets, like Sierra, and decided not to try the premium stuff due to price.. but came to that conclusion AFTER I tried plain old Hornady SPs.. which they 'wisely'.. ( read that as sarcasm) discontinue.. but with stiff charges of H 380, the 200, 225 and 250 grain RN/SP worked real well... so didn't need to try any other higher cost bullets... the Hornadys were also quite accurate...I still have enough to outlast my getting old, old ass...

In 30 caliber, from Sierra, I settled my uses on just a couple of their bullets....the 180 and 220 grain RN...and the 150 gr FN or RN.. for the 30/30... lower velocity loads... their 110 grain HP, worked well behind a load of 30 grains of 4198, on Oregon Blacktails.. especially for kids and/or the wife...Hornady's 180 and 220 gr RNs.. they never fail... fast or slow...

Last edited by Seafire; 01/13/20. Reason: Addendum after reading a few more posts..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez