Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
In the 338-06 heavy bullets are pretty slow compared to the 338 WM. I’m thinking the 225 is about the heaviest I‘d want to use, saving 250’s for the 338 WM.

And bullet length is a consideration with case capacity. The heavier monos are pretty long. In fact if you look at the 160 TTSX, it’s almost as long as the 210 NPT. If the 180 NAB shoots as good as I think it will, it could be a player. Right now, 160 TTSX and 210 NPT are top contenders.

DF

DF,
my 338/06, using my favorite H 380 yields 2900+ with a 200 grain bullet, 2750 plus with a 225, and 2650 fps with a 250 gr RN, all Hornady bullets...

or the three IMR powders.. 3031, 4895, and 4064, do awfully darn well for velocity and accuracy with those three bullets...

besides another interesting thing noted ( and credit goes to the Sierra Manual)...

50 grains of 4064, with the 200, 225 and 250 grain RN, each give 2500 fps MV, and also pretty much the same point of impact at 100 yds..... thats kinda versatile in my book....and at 300 yds, the bullets will open up on a most deer, big ones of course, but also will drop a scrawny antelope sized blacktail also....DRT with proper shot placement... that load also kicks less than you think it should.. at least out of my Model 70, which is a bored out 270.... bought that rifle brand new in Montana at a Walmart Close out, post season for $250, never fired a 270 round thru it.. took it up to Eugene and had it rebored to 338/06, by Bob West....

Bob West,. he's another story.. but that gave the rifle a little pedigree, for those that knew the name...

Hank Williams Jr and Tom Selleck certainly know the name.... and so did P.O. Ackley, who trained old Bob West...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez