Originally Posted by shaman
Given the task of being on alert for coyote and their ilk as targets of opportunity, what would you carry?

When we see these bastids, we're usually inside 50 yards. We've got a second or two before they're into cover.

By actual body count, we've been most successful with our turkey shotguns. They like to come to our calls and decoys during season. #4 lead turkey loads do a pretty good job on them out of a full choke.

If just about, yes I'd carry a handgun...

But it sounds like you've got some serious hunting to do.

Calling coyotes can be a lot of fun. Since it's more of a removal program vs. sport I'd use a reliable' semi-auto shotgun and have my buddy back me up with an AR or the Mini-14 for anything out of reach of the shotgun. Nail the hell out of them when they come in, may not come into that call again after being shot at, if they do they'll be quite cautious.

Don't have a thermal or night scope, and don't have the money for one, we used to use red lights, maybe there is another color option that is better now ('kill light' is just one option).

I've had a few livestock kills due to cougar & coyotes over the years and keep a 'kill light' handy for such problems.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum