Look, under normal circumstances, I would not be trying to "hunt" anything with a 9mm. 22LR and 22 Magnum I have respect for, but I'm probably not going to use either. I've shot game with 22 LR, and it does a fine job on groundhogs at 40 yards. If I'm out hunting squirrel, and I see a yote. I'll not hesitate to shoot. However, I've got better on the rack for this purpose. 22 WMR is a round I've never warmed up to. The per-round cost and the fact I can't reload it make it less desirable to me. I've actually got a 22 WRF that would work, but again, the ammo cost is ridiculous. No, If I'm grabbing something off the rack to carry to the back of the property, and I'm in a 22 caliber mood, I'll take the Mini-14. I started this thread for handgun ideas, and I've gotten good ones. My instincts were right: my double-stack 9mm's are about all I need to think about, and nearly anything goes if I have a mind to do so.

The ROE of this situation are not about coming home with a trophy. Job #1 here is keeping the people safe. If that means putting an ill-placed round into a canine, or missing entirely, but making enough noise for a pack to cease and desist, I'm all for it. Any way it turns out, the only winners in this are going to be crows and vultures.

#4 turkey loads are not ideal for taking coyotes, but we've flipped a few with our turkey guns. Half the time, they run off and the vultures let you know that you've done your job. Other things that work are 165 grain 30-06 and 50 caliber R.E.A.L pure lead cast.

Thanks all for the input.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer