I feel like you’ve got three problems.

The first is canines attacking people. For that, it's hard to beat a double-column 9mm loaded with 124-grain JHP ammo and backed up by a couple of spare mags, all carried on your belt 24/7 when you're on the property. Even more important, I’d devote some quality time to my draw stroke and dealing with multiple targets. I'd start with standard draw-and-fire drills and work up to El Presidente, then I'd run through the entire program again in low light. Instead of using IPSC targets on stands, I'd use empty 1-gallon milk jugs on the ground since that's about the geometry of the most likely shot. They're somewhat bigger than the vitals on a canine, so start with them and work down to oil bottles. Tie them to a tent stake with a few feet of 550 cord so you're not chasing them all over the range after every string.

The second is chance contact:
When we see these bastids, we're usually inside 50 yards. We've got a second or two before they're into cover.

Getting a hit with a handgun in 1-2 seconds out to 50 yards is hard, especially when the target is moving and you’re not standing there ready to draw like you would be at a match. For that, I like the turkey gun you mentioned, a smoothbore riot gun with rifle sights, or an M-4 with a red-dot optic or low-powered scope if safety permits.

The third involves shifting your efforts from defense to offense. For that, I’d look at passive measures like snaring and antifreeze or other poison IF they're legal and collateral damage won't be prohibitive. Active measures could include disrupting their OODA loop. Canines are smart. They know you’re not there all of the time and they might have adapted by lying low while you’re around and being more active when they think you’re gone. Is it possible to go out there there mid-week, slip onto some high ground, and kill a few that way?

You could also talk with other nearby landowners and see what they’re doing. Maybe it becomes a community effort.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 02/27/20.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.