Originally Posted by MOGC
Coyote don't have 30" vitals. Ten pellets in 30" is way too wide a pattern to be useful. You need 4 - 5 of those pellets in the vitals to consistently anchor coyotes. Let's be generous and allow a little wiggle room and say an 8" - 10" vital area. Each individual pellet must be capable of penetrating fur, hide, muscle and possibly breaking bones to reach heart, lungs, brain and breaking vertebrae. I always hear of these magic shotguns, but I know from long experience it's a rare shotgun, choke and load that can consistently kill coyote at 60+ yards. Especially considering anything other than a directly head on or broadside coyote. Quartering away or straight away is very tough to get a lead pellet into the vitals at long ranges. Tungsten and TSS can do it. IF you can hold a pattern together well enough at extended ranges. And despite internet chit chat that's a bunch tougher to do than most want to admit.

Whatever you say chief, I probably only kill 15 or 20 a year on accident, what do I know. Sumbeotch probably won't kill one at 10 yards.