Originally Posted by shaman
We've got a situation at our camp that requires us being armed at all times. This is a 200 Deer/Turkey camp in Northern KY.

Feral Dogs/Coy Dogs/Coyotes. These packs come and go. They're all interbreeding. The coyotes roam as a mated hunting pair. The rest roam in packs up to 6. They're a nuisance to the deer and turkey, but they've also managed to scare the bejesus out of us. We've all been tracked. One rather aggressive pack went after my grown sons as they were exiting their car and they had to jump back inside and wait them out.

As patriarch of camp, I've issued two standing orders:

1) Shoot anything resembling a coyote on sight.
2) All persons need to go armed when away from the house.

I normally carry a double-stack 9, or a single-action 357 Mag, or a 357 Mag Carbine. Moose is now carrying a Micro Roni Gen 4X housing a Glock 9mm. Angus is carrying a double stack 9. I'm also rather partial to a Mini-14.

It's to the point where I've decided Mooselette, now age 8, probably won't be able to solo hike around the farm. Her father and uncles all grew up with being left to have the run of the farm at this age. However, she's not yet ready to handle a firearm on her own and I don't want her having to deal with the dogs alone.

I thought I'd start a discussion: what would y'all pick for a task such as this?

From what you describe (animals/territory) I think you're quite OK with a well-practiced double-stack 9.. The Ruger SR9 or SR9c can carry 17+1 - and with a spare mag or two handy you should be decently equipped to carry on as needed... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!