America will be in the same position very soon.

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
[Linked Image from economist.com]

The coronavirus is at least as infectious than the seasonal flu, and many estimates put it higher. And people can infect others while showing little noticeable symptoms.

But the seasonal flu has a death rate of 0.1%, whereas coronavirus ranges from 1% in South Korea to over 7% in Italy.

But South Korea tests 70 times as many people per capita as the CDC does. And South Korea put a lot more effort into their quarantine measures. And South Korea has a much more robust public healthcare system. Meanwhile, last week the CDC only tested a grand total of 77 people. And Americans do not take the social isolation measures seriously. In France, you now have to print and fill out a form if you wish to leave your house. Meanwhile in America, the Governor of Oklahoma proudly posted (and later deletes) a Tweet showing that he's not scared of no durned virus: "Eating with my kids and all my fellow Oklahomans at the @CollectiveOKC . It’s packed tonight! #supportlocal #OklaProud"

I predict America's death rate is going to look more like Italy than South Korea or even China.

The seasonal flu kills an average 36,000 Americans per year. This means best case you're looking at 300,000+ deaths and worst case, Italy-like scenario, 2.5 million deaths, or more.

This is basic math.

Last edited by Goosey; 03/18/20.