I am not really a Dave R. truther (don't NOT like him either), but much of his platform is just common sense; No high interest debt, have an emergency fund, save......

But part of it is also common sense. An $120k degree to be a hotel chef, or history teacher might be a bad decision.

Choose a career that is recession proof, or resistant. Or, if college isn't your thing, study a trade.

Other than my (newly refinanced 2.75%/10 year) mortgage I haven't had a loan higher than 0% interest in a decade. We run a tight ship, cash flow is king, and we have slowly run up a large cash on hand reserve for emergencies, (~2 years living expenses) that I am slowly filtering back into these depressed markets.

Healthy, and educated in the appropriate markets helps. It's not all in our control. Accidents happen.

We have taught our young son (25 y.o new college grad professional) to hope for the best but plan for the worst. He is in lock down and left Vegas to hunker down with us in Colorado while we ALL work remote. He is a bit wide-eyed as this is his first 9/11..... dot-com bust..... all the stuff we have been through.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.