Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by smarquez
It's not an analogy.
Yes, it is. It’s a comparison analogy. And it’s false. You said “Modern properly equipped paramedic units are equipped the same way as a hospital.” That’s simply not true. As I said, ER’s and hospitals have treatment adjuncts and drugs that paramedics in the back of an ambulance don’t have. And if you think that just because you take the same ACLS classes that ERMD’s take, that your knowledge and skills and experience are on par with theirs...then that’s just as big of a crock as is your assertion that the back of an ambulance “is equipped the same way as a hospital” is. Again, not knockin’ EMS...I’ve been very involved with it for well over 30 years...but paramedics ain’t ER doctors, and the back of an ambulance ain’t an ER.

I ever keel over from a heart attack or serious trauma I’d rather have a king county medic working on me to start then an er doc every time. Of course I would still want to end up in an er but the medic units here have hundreds of medications on them, their life pack is no different then the ones in the er, ive seen them perform in field operations and I’ve been in tons of situations where doctors happened to be on scene and it was a cluster. To be fair there have been a couple times when drs were on scene of something and did a fantastic job, just the far less common example. I also think that not all medics are created equal in general but certainly in different parts of the country. Far different levels of training and equipment available. I would love to hear what airway interventions an er can do for a code that a medic unit here can’t.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott