Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by smarquez
It's not an analogy.
Yes, it is. It’s a comparison analogy. And it’s false. You said “Modern properly equipped paramedic units are equipped the same way as a hospital.” That’s simply not true. As I said, ER’s and hospitals have treatment adjuncts and drugs that paramedics in the back of an ambulance don’t have. And if you think that just because you take the same ACLS classes that ERMD’s take, that your knowledge and skills and experience are on par with theirs...then that’s just as big of a crock as is your assertion that the back of an ambulance “is equipped the same way as a hospital” is. Again, not knockin’ EMS...I’ve been very involved with it for well over 30 years...but paramedics ain’t ER doctors, and the back of an ambulance ain’t an ER.

Okay. You are splitting hairs here.
Paramedic units are equipped the same as a hospital in regards to ACLS to treat cardiac arrests.
Our training in regards to ACLS is the same as a doctors.
The American Heart Association has determined through research and studies that a hospital can do no more to determine the outcome of a patient in unresponsive cardiac arrest than a paramedic in the field.
If a doctor wants paramedics to bring a 80 year old full arrest from a con home he can so order it. This differs from region to region but ACLS is the national standard.
Our treatment was monitored directly by a base station hospital where there was a doctor that could be consulted on any, call medical or trauma or the occasional hard head that was dying in front of us but refusing medical aid.
My 6 months of paramedic school don't compare to what schooling a doc goes through. Never said it did but I guess I have to put pertinent negatives in. That was the reason I took a giant step backwards after I delivered a patient and a treatment report up to arrival at the ED.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.