Originally Posted by Mule Deer
frank500,

I have been very happy with the progressive lenses, rather than bi- or trifocals. Discovered when I finally had to get glasses that allowed me both to hunt and read 20 years ago that tilting my head a little bit with the progressives could put that final clear touch on the front sight, whether with handguns or rifles.

When I went through boot camp at MCRD San Diego/MCB Camp Pendleton, I was issued BCs (Boot Camp Glasses/Birth Control Glasses). People who know me envy my vision, but it ain’t perfect. When it comes to hitting targets at 500 yards with iron sights, you need all the clarity you can get. Anyway, all us dorks with our BCs learned a valuable lesson. When you shoot and have a firm cheek weld, your head tends to tilt forward, causing you to look through the top of your lenses. To alleviate the issue, our drill instructors instructed us to tape an ear plug under the nose bridge of our glasses. The effect was that when we sighted in through our peep sight, we would be looking through the middle of our lenses. I still do it today. Which leads to my next point. For those of you with 4 eyes that like to shoot iron sights, make sure to keep a pair of civi glasses, and a pair of shootin glasses. Good shooting glasses have big lenses and ear pieces that wrap behind your ear. Brain straps are good too.