I am another old guy, 76, who is getting more into iron sights. A couple of years ago I acquired a "Mule Deer Special," for my rather specialized hunting needs. It's a pre-64, M70 in .270 Win. Like the rifle so much, I had it refinished with a hard, flat finish. Where I hunt, blued rifles flash in the bright sun.
Got the biggest surprise I've had in a long time when I shot it a 200 yds. on a 12 inch target. Using a Safari Ching Sling, and shooting in a hurry, I put five rounds into the target. One called out. Four in just over 4 inches. The called shot made a 7 inch group. I was really surprised. Heck, my slow fire groups run 2-3 inches, or more at 100 yds..... Then I reviewed MD's book, Obsessions of a Rifle Loony and O'Connor's book, The Rifle Book. In the O'Connor book, he made it clear that the shooter must not look at the rear sight. The eye will naturally center the front sight. Eyes must be focused on the front sight. And the target will be blurry. So, my slow fire groups sometimes didn't turn out well because I was trying to focus on both the rear and front sights, then the target. Now, I need to go back and make sure I practice by only focusing on the front sight.
BTW, I've decided I will be hunting the low desert this year with my Mule Deer Special assuming I can draw a tag. E