Back when I was a 30 to 45 year-old F-16 pilot, I was blessed with at least 20/12 visual acuity both near and far. I say "at least 20/12" because that's as low as the flight surgeon's instrumentation went and I did just fine with the "little letters." I was an avid collector and user of vintage peep sights back then and routinely shot MOA with them. I was even more blessed to eventually retire as a 59 year-old F-16 pilot, but with far vision barely scratching 20/25 and near vision north of 20/100 (corrected just fine with glasses but how I miss my old eyes). I still have all the same rifles but for some reason they are just not nearly as accurate as they used to be ;o).
That said, If I had the chance to do what you're planning on a moose hunt, I'd go for it. Might have to get some special spectacles made that put the front sight in perfect focus. I have a former squadron mate who had just such a set made for lever action silhouette competition, and he does well with them, and he's 73. There's lots of time before the season so you might consider that idea.
And apologies, I wrote the above without reading the next two pages of this thread, so if that's already been suggested...never mind.

Cheers and best of luck,
Rex