Originally Posted by raghorn
MAy have to buy a new truck here in a few days and haven’t looked at trucks in a long time (6-7 years)
I need a true off-road capable truck (ground clearance, lockers, power to weight, etc)
Been running a old body style 2003 four door Tacoma with e locker and it has been great for the past 7 or 8 years
What would you guys recommend in today’s lineup ?

I just bought a new Tacoma after a couple of years of looking. If I had plans to do serious off roading right away I would have gotten a TRD Pro. They had one I could have gotten for a little over $41, 000 with the buys you can get right now on new ones.

That said, I wanted to get another smaller truck for around town that would haul grandkids so I bought a new 2020 Tacoma TRD double cab V-6 Auto last week. I really like it. We got it for $35,000 and change. I wanted good off road capability and excellent traction characteristics for sand and mud. The thing that sold me on it was the crawl control. It also the e-locker of course. It has some options that will take me some time to get used to and I am not sure how much I will use it off road until I know it better and test it. It will get stiffer leaf springs, skid plates, jacking points and a canopy right away. Until I get rid of the '98 the 2020 won't see much serious off road use. Consumer Reports says they are dated but reliable. So am I.

I still have a 1998 Tacoma V-6 extended cab 4x4 (that won't wear out) and is set up pretty well for off road. We also have a 2013 Tundra Rock Warrior that is going very well. I have owned a 77, 81, 94, and the 98 in Tacoma and HiLux form plus the 2013 Tundra. All but the 77 were 4x4's. My hunting buddy has a 2010 Tacoma TRD and loves it. My youngest boy inherited the 94 and has sinced owned 2006, 20011 and now has a 2015 TRD. He wredcked the 2011 or would still have it. Based on our experiences I saw no reason to get anything else.

I have had no issues with any of them. I also had Dodge, Ford and Chevy full size trucks during the 90's and 2000's. With the exception of a 1994 Chevy Silverado 4x4 3/4 ton I replaced at 20 years of age with the Tundra I had no luck with the others and do not plan to ever own another Ford or Dodge 4x4.