Originally Posted by fortymile
My son has a 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat with the FX4 package. To my mind it has the best combination of size, powertrain, and off road performance of any truck out there. It's a foot narrower than an F-150 so will fit tighter trails. It has good ground clearance. The FX4 package gets you an electronic locking rear differential. It comes with decent all terrain tires (Hankook ATM). Everything underneath is well tucked in and protected. The crawl control system is amazing, much better than what Toyota offers. It has 4 wheel disc brakes (Toyota's still using archaic drum brakes in the rear). It has a 7500 pound tow rating. My son gets up to 26 mpg highway with his truck. It has power to spare.

I have one of those, it's my company truck. It will go almost anywhere I point it. I use it in the appalachain basin in the gas patch. I will say that it is a tight fit for me. I'm 6'3'' tall. The alternator is low on the engine, right behind the right side front tire. It left me stranded in the woods at 21000 miles. That and the cab room are my only complaints. We also have two off road tacomas. The ranger is a better truck in every way.

Last edited by thumbcocker; 04/12/20.