Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Don't doubt it at all. Truck convos are difficult online as some call a 4Runner or an AWD minivan a truck just because they can get it up a nasty road and toss a deer in the back. smile

What kind of abuse do your trucks go through that the Raptor is king? Ratio dirt to pavement for example. No flies on them, just wondering. I've driven a couple, but Ford ergo' s have always left me cold. Has your company tried any Rebels? I was tempted by a used one when I got my wifes pickup a couple months ago, but I didn't realize they had the adjustable airbag suspension. Fugg that. But seems like it'd be a close competitor for the Raptor, at least on paper.

As I said above, we are in the top 5 on the ENR top Contractors, and the top 5 in Mining Equipment Giants. The divisions reporting to me in my working life were predominantly heavy civil construction, upstream and midstream Oil and Gas, and O&M for OGC and Power. We'd buy trucks, assign them, maintain them, and at 3 years (fully depreciated) or 70,000 miles (if more than 3 years) assess if they were worth tripping or keep and make job beaters. Until the big ecoboost Life Cycle cost on Fords was the best by a large margin...Life Cycle being purchase,operating costs insurance, Fuel Oil and Grease, Maintenance, Tires and Repairs, Depreciation, and Disposal Recoup (ie sales).

We bought a few dozen Raptors for O&G pipeline integrity, drilling and well monitoring. They were simply flawless, with most miles offroad...BUT...the Z71's were as well, for 30% less. So, I guess to answer your question, the Raptor, in the records I have on a couple dozen is cheapest in T&T and Repairs, IOW, the ones we have simple wouldn't break...and...the 500+ BHP and factory Baja Race level suspension were things of beauty, but the buy-in, Operating Costs, Insurance, FOG made it not worth it...

SINCE then, Chevy has taken over. The aluminum bodied ecoboost trucks have skyrocketed in O&M, T&T, and "particularly" repairs...we've had more "totaled" accidents in the last 4 years than in the previous decade...

And, simply, despite the fanboy "I had one" or "I had two" Tundras have never on a life cycle cost basis measured up...simply fact...and we built and maintain the Toyota testing grounds and get them cheaper than most.

As to the Rebel...I can't comment from a company standpoint since we opted the equivalent Chevy in 2019 because initial purchase was 20% less, and we've been too thrilled to change.

Funny thing, though...my Dad and sister both got supplier pins from me and bought Rebels. They have been great, and "near" enough the equal of my 2 LT Trail Boss on the ranch that if they were cheaper life cycle (AND THE ELECTRONICS WEREN'T SO BUGGY!!!) I'd consider one....

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...