Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by fortymile
My son has a 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat with the FX4 package. To my mind it has the best combination of size, powertrain, and off road performance of any truck out there. It's a foot narrower than an F-150 so will fit tighter trails. It has good ground clearance. The FX4 package gets you an electronic locking rear differential. It comes with decent all terrain tires (Hankook ATM). Everything underneath is well tucked in and protected. The crawl control system is amazing, much better than what Toyota offers. It has 4 wheel disc brakes (Toyota's still using archaic drum brakes in the rear). It has a 7500 pound tow rating. My son gets up to 26 mpg highway with his truck. It has power to spare.

How much weight is it rated to put in the bed?

No offense, but the OP said truck in the title, I don't see the Rangers, Tacos, et al as a truck per se. But that's just me.

Yes he did say truck, but he also said his current vehicle is an 03 Tacoma, so it seems possible he may be looking at a similar size/capacity vehicle. Last new truck I purchased was an F250 crew cab diesel - definitely a truck, but a new Ranger will go places off road that the F250 won't.