They have been a clear and present danger for years, and have been quietly buying assets here. At last they have shown their colours. Last year they made a 'friendly visit' of a number of war warships to Sydney Harbour- sorry, but a Chinese warship with armed marines guarding its deck (whilst moored at a secure Australian naval base) within 2 km of the NSW Parliament on the anniversary that the Japanese attacked Sydney Harbour in WW2 was no coincidence, and was a clear threat.

Sure, a warship is sovereign Chinese territory, and needs to be protected, but if you are on a friendly visit, don't you keep your armed marines out of sight?

A week ago, a Chinese aircraft blocked a Pacific Island runway stopping an Australian aid flight landing- coincidence? I don't believe in them.

Thoughts of many Australians toward China have been blinkered by trade, and financial greed, and a population hooked on cheap consumable rubbish.

Strategically thinking Australians have been saying war between the US and China is a matter of 'when' not 'if' for some years.

I think China's behaviour of late has made it very clear who our friends are, and where our loyalties lie. They have as it were turned a page and showed their true colours- what we are seeing now is a bit like 1938- when Hitler was Newsweek 'Man of the Year'- I am not saying we are going to war next year, but we all know the sudden attitude change that occurred and what followed.

Incidentally Mainer- I have to disagree with you, Australians, like a lot of Americans and Europeans have grown soft. Too much civilisation!