Originally Posted by 158XTP

Also the countries you mention are each 50-200% economically larger than NZ. They enjoy the benefits of being part of the Euro hub, also being countries that are much 'cheaper to run' , compared to an island shipping everything from thousands of miles away- youd have noticed the difference between US and NZ prices when you were there. They have less money to buy the same level of toys.

But again, I wasnt making an argument for the kiwis defence policy, more outlining some geography and logistics to those in the Northern hemisphere.
Once again, reread my post. I'm not suggesting that they match any of those countries in army, navy and air force. I just wish they would come close in one of them, the navy. Since they're not buying Gen 5 fighters, big transport aircraft, attack helicopters, tanks and subs, they should be able to afford 3-4 newer frigates and a few more MPAs. I'd suggest 3-4 Type 31s (look it up) and 2-3 more P8s (look them up, too). Even better would be Absalon class support ships. They'd be good for defense, humanitarian missions, EEZ enforcement and would also fit in seamlessly with the Aussie navy in a real war. Anything with China will be all air and naval. Nobody in their right minds would do land invasions against them. Maybe some raids on their little bases in the SCS.