Originally Posted by UPhiker

Excuses, not reasons. Your allies are more apt to help you if you try to defend yourself and need help, rather than totally rely on others.

I agree but New Zealand does not 'totally rely 'on others, the argument is degrees of reliance.
Bigger allies of course always want their clients paying more for defence assets usually made in the bigger country wink

Let's compare it with three countries with slightly larger populations. New Zealand has a population of 5 million. Norway, Denmark and Finland all have a population of less than 6 million, so they are slightly larger. Here are their military strengths--
New Zealand- 2 frigates, 2 light infantry battalions, one mechanized battalion, 3 MPA, no fighter/bombers, no armor.
Norway- 4 frigates, 6 subs, 6 corvettes, 1 armored brigade, 6 MPA, 44 F16 & 15 F35.
Denmark- 2 brigades, 1 tank battalion, 5 first line frigates, 4 patrol frigates, 41 F16, 4 MPA.
Finland- 100+ Leopald 2 tanks, 3 brigades, 8 FAC, 60 F18.

None the size to materially resist China in area the size of the south pacific being my point.

Also the countries you mention are each 50-200% economically larger than NZ. They enjoy the benefits of being part of the Euro hub, also being countries that are much 'cheaper to run' , compared to an island shipping everything from thousands of miles away- youd have noticed the difference between US and NZ prices when you were there. They have less money to buy the same level of toys.

But again, I wasnt making an argument for the kiwis defence policy, more outlining some geography and logistics to those in the Northern hemisphere.