I know what you're saying Pappy. I have one Hawke, a 2x10x50 Endurance model. While the adjustments and glass are good, eye relief excellent, I do not like the large black donut around the image it has, which, I believe is called "tunnel vision" and after mounting it on a rifle with it's 20+ ounce weight, not counting the scope rings, it screwed up the balance so bad on that rifle that I removed it and never put it on another rifle. Of course the 50mm obj did not help, having to use higher rings, so no more 50mm's for me. I will probably not ever use a scope heavier than 17 ounces on a light weight rifle, ( which includes all of my rifles). And I only go 17 ounces to include the Meopta Meopro scopes, because they check all of the other boxes for me. I actually prefer my scopes under 14 ounces, but for rifles that I want an illuminated dot reticle scope on, I have to bump up a couple of ounces,
And those favorable characteristics in a scope that I like so much, you will be hard pressed to find a scope, still in production, that checks all of those boxes, (especially the weight box), regardless of how much it costs.
I know, I am just an old man that likes what he likes. But, that is my story and I'm sticking to it. RJ